Here's a little comp I put together of 80's Brooklyn duo Sir Fresh & DJ Critical. Truth is, there is very little information about these guys online. All I know for sure is their record label was Solid Goals and these tracks range from 1985-1989.
Solid Goals was owned by Sir Fresh and his business partner Hank Love, together they managed the label and handled the production under the name 'Solid'. The production transitions through the loud ass Linn Drum era to the classic James Brown breaks. This is Hip Hop at it's freshest.
Sir Fresh is engaging and witty, a true product of the Golden Age when every MC strived for a style of their own. He switches from Busy Bee party rapper, to off the wall Kool Keith adventurer, clowning MC's with fierce nonsensical battle rhymes. DJ Critical is as tight as any 80's Hip Hop DJ I have heard. He has that beautiful sluggish, swiftness to his cuts.
My favorite track is 'Sit 'Em Down'; the boys go the fuck off on that joint. I don't know why they didn't drop an album? or what they are doing now? I do know; this crew is worth remembering.
Solid Goals was owned by Sir Fresh and his business partner Hank Love, together they managed the label and handled the production under the name 'Solid'. The production transitions through the loud ass Linn Drum era to the classic James Brown breaks. This is Hip Hop at it's freshest.
Sir Fresh is engaging and witty, a true product of the Golden Age when every MC strived for a style of their own. He switches from Busy Bee party rapper, to off the wall Kool Keith adventurer, clowning MC's with fierce nonsensical battle rhymes. DJ Critical is as tight as any 80's Hip Hop DJ I have heard. He has that beautiful sluggish, swiftness to his cuts.
My favorite track is 'Sit 'Em Down'; the boys go the fuck off on that joint. I don't know why they didn't drop an album? or what they are doing now? I do know; this crew is worth remembering.
As I said there's no info on Fresh and Critical online. I went looking for shots of 80's Brooklyn and found some amazing photography by Brooklyn native Jamel Shabazz.



{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }
Post a Comment